Petra is a specialty baker for Mom's Apple Pie Company, a family-run bakery with four locations in Northern Virginia. By the time she was born, the family business had been operating from their home for three years. Petra and her siblings grew up rolling crusts, peeling apples and baking pies with their parents from early on. In addition to bakery experience, Petra trained with family friend, Is Harris, making a variety of Thai cuisine from scratch, punctuating her culinary appreciation for both sweet and savory flavors and techniques. Subsequent training in oenology and cuisine both in Florence, Italy and Washington, DC led to her current position as wine buyer and recipe research and development at Mom's Apple Pie in Occoquan, Virginia.
How to Make Pumpkin Muffins, Cake, and Loafs
In this video, Petra Cox demonstrates how to make delicious pumpkin treats. If you can resist eating them all yourself, these amazing desserts are guaranteed to wow your holiday guests this year!
This expert: 2,049,848 views
How to Make Pumpkin Muffins, Cake, and Loafs
Ingredients1 pumpkin or butternut squash
2 1/4 cups of sugar
3/4 cup of oil
2 quarter cup of water
2 2/3 cup of cake flour
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of ginger
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/4 quarter teaspoon of cloves
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of baking powder
2 teaspoons of baking soda
1. Process the pumpkin or butternut squash. Cut it open, remove the meat and then place it in a pan with an inch of water at the bottom. Cook it for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
2. Drain the water out of the pan and scoop out the flesh from the pumpkin. Process it in a food processor.
3. Put the sugar and vegetable oil into a mixer. Add the eggs and mix together. Add a cup and a half of pupmkin.
4. Add the cake flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a separate bowl. Mix them together with a whisk. Add them slowly, half a cup at a time, to the wet ingredients in the mixer. Add water and vanilla. Make sure everything is stirred thoroughly.
5. To make pumpkin muffins, pour the batter into baking cups. To make a pumpkin roll, pour the batter into a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper. To make a pumpkin loaf, pour the batter into a bread pan.
6. Cook the pumpkin muffins and pumpkin roll for 20 minutes at 350 degrees. Cook the pumpkin bread for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
7. To make cream cheese frosting, add cream cheese to a mixer and stir in sugar 1/4 cup at a time. Add the vanilla and mix well. Place it in the fridge for a little bit.
8. Use an icing bag to decorate the muffins and loafs with the cream cheese frosting.
9. To finish the pumpkin roll, let it cool and then remove it from the pan. Spread the cream cheese frosting on it and then roll it up. Chill it for about 2 hours in the fridge and then cut it into inch thick slices.
Petra Cox: Hi, I am Petra Cox with Mom s Apple Pie Company in Occoquan, Virginia. We are a family-run bakery of four locations in Northern Virginia as well as the farm where we grow fruits and berries for our pies and pumpkins for our other baked goods. Not only am I a member of the family, I am also a baker with Mom s Apple Pie Company and today I am going to show you, how to make a basic pumpkin cake batter that you can use to make pumpkin cup cakes, pumpkin breads and pumpkin jelly-rolled cake with cream cheese frosting. So let us get started. So here we have our ingredients for our basic pumpkin cake recipe that we can use to make a pumpkin jelly-rolled cake with cream cheese frosting, pumpkin cup cakes and muffins with cream cheese frosting and a little pumpkin a pumpkin loaf or pumpkin bread or whatever you want to call, it is all the same recipe. We have all the ingredients right here. Of course, we have our pumpkin. This is from a fresh pumpkin. So this is really from scratch and we have two and a quarter cups of sugar, three eggs, three quarter cup of oil, two quarter cup of water and our dry ingredients are two and two thirds cup of cake flour, it just has a lighter texture, finer grains and they are all purpose flours. A teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of ginger, half teaspoon of nutmeg and a quarter teaspoon of cloves for your spices. A teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of baking powder and two teaspoons of baking soda, so those are the ingredients that we need for a basic pumpkin cake recipeAnd next I am going to show you, how to get from your raw pumpkin to this cup and a half of processed pumpkin that we are going to use in baking. So, next I am going to show you, how to do that