Buon Appetito, inspired by the owners of Trattoria I Trulli in Encinitas and Arrivederci in Hillcrest, combines a dash of nouvelle and a splash of sophistication to bring forth a cozy San Francisco-style eatery in the heart of Little Italy, San Diego.
This little trattoria stands out by encompassing food and wine and showcasing art. This is a reminder of what the true history of Italy is all about: Food – wine – art. There is nowhere in Italy that you can go and not be affected by the art, sculptures and fountains. That is the utter beauty and essence of Italy.
How to Make Tiramisu
Chef Salvatore Caniglia demonstrates how to make a Tiramisu.
How to Make Tiramisu
1/2 cup of sugar
A touch of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of Masala wine
3 cups of Espresso coffee
One 16 ounce container of Mascarpone cream
1. To make the cream for the tiramisu, divide the egg yolk from the egg whites in two different bowls. Beat the egg yolks first and put the egg whites into the refrigerator.
2. Add sugar, heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract and flour to the beaten egg yolks and mix it all together. Add the mustard and Masala wine to the egg mixture.
3. Take the egg whites out of the fridge and beat them to a fluffy consistency. Add them to the egg yolk mixture and blend them together. Put this mixture in the refrigerator.
4. To make the espresso, use an espresso machine to get espresso coffee and then add Masala wine to the coffee.
5. Put the layer of Mascarpone cream onto the plate first. Soak the ladyfingers in the coffee and then layer them in a round shape. After the first layer, spread cream over the ladyfingers and then continue to layer cream and ladyfingers and top the dish with cocoa powder.
Salvatore Caniglia: My name is Salvatore Caniglia. I am the chef, part-owner of Buon Appetito restaurant in Little Italy, San Diego, California and today I am going to show you how to make a Tiramisu which is a classical Italian dessert. To do this Tiramisu we will need five eggs. We will use a half a cup of sugar, a touch of vanilla extracts. We will use a quarter cup of Masala wine, three cups of Espresso coffee, one 16 ounce container of Mascarpone cream and cocoa powder and of course our ladyfingers to do the layers.
The tools to do this, we will need two bowls and a spatula and a whisk. So now I will tell you a little bit about myself. My name is Salvatore Caniglia. I am the chef, part-owner of Buon Appetito restaurant in Little Italy, San Diego, California. Buon Appetito is a small Italian Restaurant in the heart of Little Italy in San Diego, very traditional. We have delicious foods, beautiful service, some Italians, some not Italians but that is absolutely fine and I have been here in this country since 1993, myself from Italy, southern Italy from Bari and I am being a chef for the last twelve years and so now I think we will go ahead and make ourselves a Tiramisu. We going to start with the cream, so let's go.